Dr Komal Zainab, Dr Mala Ibrahim, Dr Mahnoor
Introduction: Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis is an ascitic fluid infection that occurs more frequently in patients with liver cirrhosis due to bacterial translocation and inadequate defense mechanisms to counter these bacteria. The most common symptoms may include abdominal pain, tenderness, fever, chills, but no symptoms. Aim: The aim of the study is to determine the frequency of asymptomatic spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in patients with decompensated liver cirrhosis and ascites. Place and Duration: In the medical Unit II of Jinnah Hospital Lahore for one year duration from March 2019 to March 2020. Cases and methods: 140 cases were included in the study. After obtaining informed consent, an ascites fluid sample was taken and the presence of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis was analyzed by a complete biochemical and cytological examination. Results: According to the age distribution of patients, 22 patients (15.7%) were 21-40 years old, 87 patients (62.15%) were 41-60 years old, 31 patients (22, 15%). He was aged 61–15. 70 years the mean age of patients was 53.27 ± 9. Of the 140 patients, 73 (52.1%) were male and the remaining 67 (47.9%) were female. The incidence of asymptomatic spontaneous bacterial peritonitis was observed in 16 patients (11.4%). Conclusion: Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis has been found in asymptomatic patients with decompensated liver cirrhosis. Key words: translocation, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, ascites, decompensated liver cirrhosis.