Dr Jehanzaib Zafar, Dr Naveed Ahmed, Dr Hafiz Rana Muhammad Mansoor
Introduction: Overweight and obesity have been recognized as a major risk factor for coronary heart disease (CHD) with increasing prevalence. Objectives: The main objective of the study is to find the increased waist to hip ratio in patients of acute myocardial infarction in Pakistan. Material and methods: This cross sectional study was conducted in Holy family Hospital, Rawalpindi during July 2019 to January 2020. The data was collected from 100 patients of both genders. The age range was 25 to 60 years. Results: The data was collected from 100 patients of both genders. The mean age was 45.5±4.65 years. This study demonstrated that most of the patients were male. Regarding distribution of normal and abnormal waist to hip ratio in patients presenting with acute myocardial infarction. It was noted that 77.9% patients had normal waist to hip ratio while remaining 22.1% patients had abnormal waist to hip ratio. Results: The data was collected from 100 patients of both genders. The mean age was 45.5±4.65 years. There were 34.9% of the patients who had history of hypertension. Other risk factors like metabolic syndrome was seen in 45.98% of the patients, history of ischemic heart disease in 36.3% of the patients and family history of ischemic heart disease in 18.9% of the patients. Conclusion: It is concluded that WHR can be deemed an excellent predictor of MI risk, as there is a significantly increased risk of MI among patients with a high WHR.