ResearcherID - CLICK HERE Scientific Journal Impact Factor (SJIF-2020) - CLICK HERE




Faiza Memon, Muhammad Ilyas Siddiqui, Shazia Rehman Shaikh, Allah Bachayo Rajar, Masood Ahmed, Khalil ur Rahman Kazi, Aatir H. Rajput ,Muhammad Muneeb


Abstract: Objective: To study the prevalence of suicidal ideation among medical students. Methodology: This multi-center, cross-sectional analysis was conducted upon a sample of 300 medical students (chosen via no-probability, consecutive sampling) from 3 different medical teaching institutes. No gender or age-related bias was observed, and data was collected using an anonymous, pre-structured, self-administered questionnaire comprising of enquiries about basic biodata and sociodemographic details. Hamilton depression rating scale was used to screen for depression and data pertaining to suicidal ideation was recorded using the Suicidal Ideation Attributes Scale (SIDAS). The data obtained was recorded onto a structured questionnaire and analyzed using SPSS v.21 & Microsoft Excel 2016. Results: Among, the 300-patient enrolled into the study, 29% were males while the remaining 71% were females. The mean age of the sample stood at 20 (SD ± 2). The prevalence of depression was comparable for males (29.89%) and females (28.17%). Suicidal thoughts were encountered more often by males (21.84%) than females (17.84%). The mean SIDAS score for the entire sample stood at 6.9. Conclusion: After careful consideration, it can be concluded that the suicidal ideation is very much a reality among medical students. Although much research has been carried out to identify the causes behind the prevalent psychological distress in this community and its consequences, little is done to address the matter. Identification of such marked levels of suicidal ideation should serve as an eye opener for all. Key Words: Psychological Distress, Depression, Medical Students, Suicide and Suicidal Ideation.


  • Follows us on
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.