University Grants Commission Approved List of Journals

Volume : 08, Issue : 01, January – 2021


Aamna Qayyum, Sana Mushtaq, Ayesha Zujaja

Abstract :

Objective: This study aimed to establish the clinical profile, demographic data, and diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) in children under 18 years of age diagnosed with T1DM.
Place and Duration: This study was conducted in patients under 18 years of age diagnosed with T1DM with DKA in Nishtar Hospital Pediatrics Units, Multan from 1 May 2019 until 1 March 2020.
Materials and Methods: Clinical presentation, demographic characteristics, clinical presentations and laboratory findings were observed for all patients with DK1 T1DM. The patients admitted were under 18 years of age.
Results: A total of 60 T1DM children were examined with DKA. The mean case age was 8.9 years, with standard 1.7 years deviation. The number of patients aged 10 to 18 was 32 (53.3%), while 28 (46.6%) were under ten years. Of these, 20 (33.3%) were male, and 40 (66.6%) were female. 42 (70 percent) urban-owned patients and 18 (30%) rural patients. A total of 30 (50 per cent) newly diagnosed T1DM cases were identified. Polyuria 48 (80 per cent) and polydipsia 42 were the main symptoms recorded during hospitalization (70 per cent). At admission, the mean blood glucose was 407.35 mg/dl. Time for recovery was 22.3 hours. Hypokalemia 22 (36.6 per cent) and hypernatremia 18 were frequent complications (30 per cent).
Conclusions: If T1DM is used earlier to prevent DKA and its complications, it must be diagnosed.

Keywords : diabetic ketoacidosis, ketoacidosis, Type 1 diabetes mellitus

Cite This Article:

Please cite this article in press Aamna Qayyum et al, The Study Of Consequences Of Diabetic Ketoacidosis In Children., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2021; 08(1).

Number of Downloads : 10

References :