Volume : 09, Issue : 07, July – 2022
13.HEPATOPROTECTIVE AND NEPHROPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF PULP AND FLESH OF FRUIT OBTAINED FROM CHOEROSPONDIAS AXILLARIS (ROXB.) USING RIFAMPICIN AS AN INDUCER ON ALBINO RATS
Dharmi Chaudhary, Yogesh H.S., Shivkumar Swamy, V Kusum Devi
Objective: The aim of the study was to investigate the hepato and nephro protective activity of Choerospondias axillaris (Roxb.) peel and flesh extract against Rifampicin induced toxicity in albino rat.
Methods: Bioactive functional groups, flavonoids, saponins, tannins, glycosides, polyphenols, carotenoids (provitamin A), vitamins C and E were present in hydroalcholic extract which was confirmed by respective chemical test and the hepato and nephroprotection activity of ethanolic extract was evaluated against Rifampicin (1g/kg body wt, p.o.). Biomarkers like, ALT, AST, were considered to determine hepatoprotecton. Nephroprotection activity was determine by measuring serum creatinine, uric acid, blood urea nitrogen. Histopathological study of liver and kidney was carried out.
Results: Hydroalcoholic extract of C.axillaries reduced the level of aspartate transaminase (AST) and alanine transaminase (ALT) in comparision to inducer. The extract also showed nephroprotective activity against rifampicin-induced nephrotoxicity by significantly reducing the levels of uric acid, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), serum creatinine. Histopathological studies of liver and kidney were in agreement with biomarkers.
Conclusion: Keywords: Choerospondias axillaris, antioxidant and lapsi fruit.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press Yogesh H.S et al, Hepatoprotective and Nephroprotective Activity Of Pulp And Flesh Of Fruit Obtained From choerospondias axillaris (ROXB.) Using Rifampicin As An Inducer On Albino Rats., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2022; 09(7).,
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Sharma K. N. Hepatoprotective activity of some Medicinal Plants against paracetamol induced Liver damage in Rats. Sodh ganga a reserviour of Indian thesis, 2002-2013.
2. Nitin M., Ifthekar S.Q., Mumtaz M. et al. Evaluation of hepatoprotective and nephroprotective activity of aqueous extract of Vigna mungo (Linn.) Hepper on rifampicin-induced toxicity in albino rats. Int J Health Allied Sci. 2012;1:85-91
3. Capelle P, Dbumeaux D, Mora M. Effect of rifampicin on liver function in man. Gut. 1972; 13:366-71.
4. Fent K, Mayer E, Zbinden G. Nephrotoxicity screening in rats: a validation study. Arch Toxicol. 1988;61:349-58
5. Ramgopal V, Leonard C, Bhathena D. Acute renal failure associated with rifampicin. Lancet. 1973; 1:119: 5-6.
6. Wang H, Gao XD, Zhou GC, Cai L & Yao WB. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of aqueous extract from Choerospondias axillaris fruit. Food Chemistry. 1 February 2008 ;106:3: 888–895
7. Pieta PG. Flavonoids as antioxidants. Nat Pord. 2000; 63:1035-42.
8. Nitin M., Ifthekar S.Q., Mumtaz M. et al. Evaluation of hepatoprotective and nephroprotective activity of aqueous extract of Vigna mungo (Linn.) Hepper on rifampicin-induced toxicity in albino rats. Int J Health Allied Sci. 2012;1:85-91