Volume : 09, Issue : 10, October – 2022
17.CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL REVIEW OF OROXYLUM INDICUM (KURTZ.) WITH SPECIAL ACCENT TO HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY
Soumya Kanti Biswas *, Piyali Sanyal Pathak , Mradu Gupta , Suranjana Dana
Oroxylum indicum (Kurtz.), commonly known as Shyonaka, described in Ayurveda under the broad group of drug Dashamula, and is widely available throughout India. The plant is reputed for its anti-inflammatory effect. Several advanced chemical study with this plant has already been conducted and about 28 varieties of chemical compounds are obtained. Most important compounds are baircalein and Ellagic acid (EA). Both these two compounds exhibit important biological activities like anti-inflammatory on neuro-inflammation, anti-cancer and hepatoprotective effect. Potent hepatoprotective activity was observed in CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity and ethanol induced isolated goat liver. Probable mechanism of action of O. indicum may be due to free radical scavenging activities. The anti-inflammatory activity is due to its property of suppression the pro-inflammatory mediators like TNF-α, IL-6, NF-κB-p65 and iNOS.
Keyword: Oroxylum indicum, Ellagic acid, baircalein, hepato-protective activity, anti-inflammatory effect.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in Soumya Kanti Biswas et al., Chemical and Biological Review of Oroxylum Indicum (KURTZ.) With Special Accent To Hepatoprotective Activity., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2022; 09(10).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Mohammed A H. Importance of Medicinal Plants. Research in Pharmacy and Health Sciences, 2019; 5(2):124-125.
2. Garg AK, Faheem M, Singh S. Role of Medicinal Plant in Human Health Disease. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research, 2021; 11 (1):19-21.
3. Sohani S. Role of Medicinal Plant in Human Health Perspective. Acta Scientific Agriculture, 2021; 5(6): 65-68.
4. Živković J, Ilić M, Šavikin K, Zdunić G, Ilić A and Stojković D, 2020, Traditional Use of Medicinal Plants in South-Eastern Serbia (Pčinja District): Ethnopharmacological Investigation on the Current Status and Comparison With Half a Century Old Data. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 1-12.
5. Keskin C, 2018, Medicinal Plants and their Traditional Uses. Journal of Advances in Plant Biology. 1-6.
6. Chowdhury MSH, Koikea M, Muhammeda N, MA H , Sahac N and Kobayashid H, 2009, Use of plants in healthcare: a traditional ethno-medicinal practice in rural areas of southeastern Bangladesh. International Journal of Biodiversity Science & Management. 41-51.
7. Krupa J, Sureshkumar J, Silambarasan R, Priyadarshini K, Ayyanar M, 2019, Integration of traditional herbal medicines among the indigenous communities in Thiruvarur District of Tamil Nadu, India. Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 32-37.
8. Jagetia GC, 2021, A Review on the Medicinal and Pharmacological Properties of Traditional Ethnomedicinal Plant Sonapatha, Oroxylum indicum. Sinusitis. 71-89
9. Padgilwar S, Manwar J, Vohra M and Banginwar Y, 2014, Traditional uses, Phyto chemistry and Pharmacology of Oroxylum indicum: a review. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Phyto pharmacological Research. 1-13
10. Luitel HN, Rajbhandari M, Kalauni SK, Awale S, Masuda K, Gewali MB, 2010, Chemical constituents from oroxylum indicum (l.) Kurz of nepalese origin. Scientific World, 8 (8). 66-68.
11. Rami E, Rami S, Patel I, 2017, High performance liquid chromatography method for quantification of ellagic acid in in vivo and in vitro plant parts of Oroxylum indicum (L.) Vent, Asian J Pharm Clin Res, 10 (4). 56-58.
12. Rahman MO, Sultana N, Rashid MA and Hassan MA, 2018, Exploring biological and chemical properties of Oroxylum indicum (L.) Kurz. International Journal of Applied Science, 8. 1.
13. Deka DC, Kumar V, Prasad C, Kumar K, Gogoi BJ, Singh L, Srivastava RB. 2013, Oroxylum indicum– a medicinal plant of North East India: An overview of its nutritional, remedial, and prophylactic properties. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 3: 104-112.
14. Harminder, Singh V and Chaudhary A K. 2011, A Review on the Taxonomy, Ethnobotany, Chemistry and Pharmacology of Oroxylum indicum Vent. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 483-490.
15. Quideau, S., Feldman, K.S. 1996, Ellagitannin chemistry. Chem. Rev., 96: 475–504.
16. Swargiary A and Daimari M, 2020, Identification of bioactive compounds by GC-MS and α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity of Rauvolfia tetraphylla L. and Oroxylum indicum (L.) Kurz: an in vitro and in silico approach. Swargiary and Daimari Clinical Phytoscience.1-11.
17. Raghu AV, George S, V RK and K. K S, 2013, Bioactive properties of phenolics present in Oroxylum indicum – A review. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 23-27.
18. Singh K, Khanna AK, Chander R.1999, Hepatoprotective activity of ellagic acid against carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Indian J Exp Biol, 37(10):1025-6.
19. Varsha K, Sharma A, Kaur A, Madan J, 2017, Natural plant-derived anticancer drugs nano-therapeutics: A review on preclinical to clinical success. 775-809.
20. Mohapatra S S, Roy RK , Mohan P, Upadhyaya T N and Sarma J, 2018, Phytochemical Analysis and Hepatoprotective Effect of Hydroethanolic Extract of Stem Bark of Oroxylum indicum. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 1000-1006.
21. Singh HV, Chaudhary AK, 2011, A Review on the Taxonomy, Ethnobotany, Chemistry and Pharmacology of Oroxylum indicum Vent. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 483-490.
22. Tenpe C. R, Aman U, Sushil B, Yeole P. G, 2009, In vitro antioxidant and preliminary hepatoprotective activity of oroxylum indicum vent leaf extracts. Pharmacologyonline. 35-43.
23. Bharali M K, Konya H, Chetry L B, 2014, Protective effect of Oroxylum indicum on acetaminophen induced liver injury in rat. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal. 223-227.
24. Sharma K G, Devi T L, Singh O M, and Singh T P, 2022, Oroxylum indicum Vent.: A Review on its Phytochemical and Pharmacological Profile. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 459-472.
25. García-Niño WR, Zazueta C. 2015, Ellagic acid: Pharmacological activities and molecular mechanisms involved in liver protection. Pharmacological Research, 97: 84-103.
26. Liu HT, Lin YN, Tsai MC, Wu YC, Lee MC. 2022, Baicalein exerts therapeutic effects against endotoxin-induced depression-like behavior in mice by decreasing inflammatory cytokines and increasingbrain-derived neurotrophic factor levels. Antioxidants, 11, 947: 1-14.
27. Chandrasekhar NK, Pandi AK. 2022, Baicalein: A review on its anti-cancer effects and mechanisms in lung carcinoma. J Food biochem, 46(9): e14230.