Volume : 09, Issue : 10, October – 2022
38.ATTITUDE AND PRACTICE OF SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT AMONG THE PEOPLE OF CLARKA ABAD VILLAGE RAIWIND ROAD LAHORE
Ms: Shazia Eshaq, Ms: Nighat Firdaus, Ms: Ayesha Ramzan
Introduction: Solid waste management is defined as the discipline associated with control of generation, storage, collection, transport or transfer, processing and disposal of solid waste materials in a way that best addresses the range of public health, conservation, economic, aesthetic, engineering, and other environmental considerations.
Materials and Methods: A Quantitative descriptive study and Questionnaires based study. The study was carried out in village Clarka Abad at Raiwind Road, Lahore. Sample size was determined by using a stratified random sampling method. The village was consisting of 100 houses for study. The data for this survey by home visiting through interview and questionnaires to present findings on attitude of people towards house hold waste management.
Results: 10% people collected household solid waste in drums and 50% people collected solid waste in baskets 40% people collected household solid waste (HSW) plastic bags. As there were no community drums 0% people dispose the solid waste in community drums.5% people throw the solid waste into drainage channels.1% people dispose solid waste into bushes. 10% people dispose (HSW) to fill the land.75% people dispose household solid waste in an open land spaces outside the village.6% people dispose solid waste by open burning and 3% people dispose solid waste by giving to domestic animals(fruits and vegetable peals). 50% people transport (HSW) daily.40% people transport (HSW) after a day and 10% people transport (HSW) every 2or 3 days
KEY WORDS: Attitude, Practice, Solid Waste Management, Clarka Abad.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in Ms: Shazia Eshaq et al, Attitude And Practice Of Solid Waste Management Among The People Of Clarka Abad Village Raiwind Road Lahore., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2022; 09(10).
1. Alam, P. and K. Ahmade. 2013. Impact of solid waste on health and the environment. Int. J. Sustainable Development and Green Economics (IJSDGE), 2(1): p 165-168.
2. Bundela, P.S., S.P. Gautam, A. K. Pandey, M. K. Awasthi and S. Sarsaiya. 2010. Municipal solid waste management in Indian cities — A review. Int. J. Environ. Sci., 1 (4): 59 1-606.
3. Chukwuemeka, E., J.Ugwu and D.Igwegbe.2012. Management and Development Implications of Solid Waste Management in Nigeria. Asian Journal of Business Management, 4(4): 352-358.
4. Daskalopoulos E., Badr O., Probert S.D. 2010. Economic and Environmental Evaluations of Waste Treatment and Disposal Technologies for Municipal Solid Waste. Applied Ecology 58, pp.2009-255 (1999).
5. Dhokhikah, Y. and Y. Trihadiningrum. 2012. Solid Waste Management in Asian Developing Countries: Challenges and Opportunities. J. Appl. Environ. Biol. Sci., 2(7)329-335.
6. Ejaz, N. and N. S. Janjua. 2012. Solid Waste Management Issues in Small Towns of Developing World: A Case Study of Taxila City. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Develop., 3(2): 167-171.
7. Ezigbo, C. A. 2012. Management of solid waste In Nigeria: Challenges and proposed solutions. Sacha Journal of Environmental Studies, 2(1): 159-169.
8. Hwa, T. J. 2009. Overview of Solid-Waste Management in Asian Countries. Solid Waste Management: Issues and Challenges in Asia. p 3.
9. Kaushal, R. K., G. K. Varghese and M. Chabukdhara. 2012. Municipal Solid Waste Management in India-Current State and Future Challenges: A Review. Int. J. Engineering Sci. Technol., (4):1473-l489.
10. Kondili, E. I. Bartzis, M. Kapsaliand J. K. Kaldellis. 2012. Multicriteria analysis of municipal solid wastes energy recovery technologies in Greece. Global NEST J. 14 (2): 225-234.
11. Leton, T. G and O. Ornotosho. 2010. Landfill operations in the Niger delta region of Nigeria. Engineering Geology, 73(1-2): 171-177.
12. Mahar, A., R. N. Malik, A. Qadir, T. Ahmed, Z. Khan and M. A. Khan. 2011. Review and Analysis of Current Solid Waste Management Situation in Urban Areas of Pakistan. Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Solid Waste Management. Chennai, India. pp.34-41.
13. Novak. J. T. 2006. The effect of liquid waste addition on cellulose and lignin degradation in bioreactor landfills, Virginia Tech.
14. Ogwueleka, T. Ch. 2009. Municipal solid waste characteristics and management in Nigeria. Iran. J. Environ. Health Sci. Eng.. 6(3): P. 173-180.
15. Phillips, W. and E. Thorne. 2011. Municipal solid waste management in the Caribbean, A benefit-cost analysis. Studies and Perspectives series. The Caribbean — No. 22.EclacSubregional Headquarters for the Caribbean: 1-55.
16. Regassa, N., R.D. Sundaraa and B. B. Seboka. 2011. Challenges and Opportunities in Municipal Solid Waste Management: The Case of Addis Ababa City, Central Ethiopia. J. Hum. Ecol., 33(3): 179-190.
17. Robert M.B. 2010. Annual Review of Development Effectiveness – Page 8. Published by World Bank Publications.
18. SAlAN. 2009. A Study of Environmental Problems in Pakistan.
19. Sugar. H. D. L. and C. L. T. Gomez. 2011. Cities and Greenhouse Emissions: Moving Forward Environment and Urbanization, 23(1): 1-21.
20. Taj, J.. W. Zhang, Y. Che and D. Feng. 2011. Municipal solid waste source-separated collection in China: A comparative analysis. Waste Management. 31: 1673—1682.
21. Tehrani, S. M.. A. R Karbassi, J. Ghoddosi, S. M. Monavvari, and S. A. Mirbagheri. 2009. Prediction of energy consumption and urban air pollution reduction in e-shopping adoption. mt. J. Food, Agri. Environ., 7 (3-4): 898-903.
22. Vegara, S. E. and G. Tchbanoglous. 2012. Municipal Solid Waste and the Environment: A Global Perspective. Annual Review of Environmental Research, 37: 2.1-2.33,
23. Veizaga. J. C. 2010. Assessment of solid waste management in Ecovillages Case study of Konohana family in Japan. mt. J. Environ. Rural Develop., 1(2): 123-128.
24. Velumani, A., K. Saravanan. T. Kannadasan and K. Ganesan. 2009. Design of temporary storage of solid waste management and impact on global warming-A case study. J. sustainable development, 2(3):221-234. J. AppI. Environ. Biol. Sci., 2(7)329-335, 2012
25. Zaman, A. U. 2010. Comparative study of municipal solid waste treatment technologies using life cycle assessment method.Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech., 7 (2): 225-234.