Volume : 09, Issue : 10, October – 2022
57.SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIMICROBIAL SCREENING OF NOVEL CHROMENO [4,3] PYRIMIDINE-2(5H)-THIONE ANALOGS
Nazneen Begum, Saravanan Govindaraj*
A series of novel chromeno [4,3] pyrimidine-2(5H)-thione derivatives were synthesized and characterized by FT-IR, 1H-NMR, and Mass spectroscopy analysis with the aim of developing potent antimicrobial agents. The paper disc diffusion method and agar streak dilution method were performed for screening in vitro antimicrobial activity and the results are represented as a zone of inhibition and MIC, respectively. All compounds exhibited weak to potent anti-microbial activity against the tested microorganism such as B. subtilis, E. coli, A. niger & P. chrysogenum. The relationship between the functional group variation and the antimicrobial activity of the evaluated compounds was discussed. Out of various synthesized compounds, 3-(1-(dimethylamino)-2-(4-hydroxyphenyl) vinyl)-9-fluoro-5-hydroxy-3H-chromeno [4,3] pyrimidine-2(5H)-thione (C1) was found to be the most active compound.
Keywords: Pyrimidine, Chromene, Antimicrobial activity, Zone of inhibition, MIC
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in Saravanan G et al, Synthesis, Characterization And Antimicrobial Screening Of Novel Chromeno [4,3] Pyrimidine-2(5h)-Thione Analogs., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2022; 09(10).
1. Relman DA. The human body as microbial observatory. Nature genetics. 2002 Feb;30(2):131-3.
2. Entenza JM, Betrisey B, Manuel O, Giddey M, Sakwinska O, Laurent F, Bizzini A. Rapid detection of Staphylococcus aureus strains with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin by isothermal microcalorimetry. Journal of clinical microbiology. 2014 Jan;52(1):180-6.
3. Miyamoto Y, Yamazaki C. Synthesis of nitrogen‐containing heterocycles. 8. Preparation and ring‐opening of spiro [cycloalkane‐[1′, 2′, 4′] triazolo [1′, 5′‐c] pyrimidine] derivatives. Journal of heterocyclic chemistry. 1997 May;34(3):871-5.
4. Layeva AA, Nosova EV, Lipunova GN, Trashakhova TV, Charushin VN. A new approach to fluorinated 4 (3H)-quinazolinones. Journal of fluorine chemistry. 2007 Jul 1;128(7):748-54.
5. Yavuz SÇ, Akkoç S, Tüzün B, Şahin O, Saripinar E. Efficient synthesis and molecular docking studies of new pyrimidine-chromeno hybrid derivatives as potential antiproliferative agents. Synthetic Communications. 2021 Jul 18;51(14):2135-59.
6. Hu Z, Wang C, Sitkoff D, Cheadle NL, Xu S, Muckelbauer JK, Adam LP, Wexler RR, Quan ML. Identification of 5H-chromeno [3, 4-c] pyridine and 6H-isochromeno [3, 4-c] pyridine derivatives as potent and selective dual ROCK inhibitors. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters. 2020 Nov 1;30(21):127474.
7. Ibrahim MA, Al‐Harbi SA, Allehyani ES. Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of the novel heteroannulated furo [3′, 2′: 6, 7] chromeno [2, 3‐b] pyridines: Part 1. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2020 Oct;57(10):3632-41.
8. Kumari S, Shakoor SA, Khullar S, Mandal SK, Sakhuja R. An unprecedented tandem synthesis of fluorescent coumarin-fused pyrimidines via copper-catalyzed cross-dehydrogenative C (sp 3)–N bond coupling. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry. 2018;16(17):3220-8.
9. Metwally NH, Abd-Elmoety AS. Novel fluorinated pyrazolo [1, 5-a] pyrimidines: In a way from synthesis and docking studies to biological evaluation. Journal of Molecular Structure. 2022 Jun 5;1257:132590.
10. R Jadhav G, J Medhane V, G Deshmukh D, S Gaikwad S. New synthetic strategy for Friedlander condensation of 4‐amino‐2‐oxo‐2 H‐chromene‐3‐carbaldehyde by heterogeneous catalysis. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2021 Sep;58(9):1775-83.
11. Kabeer SA, Reddy GR, Sreelakshmi P, Manidhar DM, Reddy CS. TiO2–SiO2 Catalyzed Eco‐friendly Synthesis and Antioxidant Activity of Benzopyrano [2, 3‐d] pyrimidine Derivatives. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2017 Sep;54(5):2598-604.
12. Hamed EO, Assy MG, Shalaby AM, Sayed RE. Cyclization of N‐benzyl cyanoacetamide: Novel synthesis and biological activity of pyrrole, pyrimidine, and pyran derivatives. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2020 Apr;57(4):1672-81.
13. Naikoo RA, Kumar R, Kumar V, Bhargava G. Recent developments in the synthesis of tricyclic condensed pyrimidinones. Synthetic Communications. 2021 May 19;51(10):1451-77.
14. Shehab WS, EL-Farargy AF, Abdelhamid AO, Aziz MA. Synthesis and biological application of pyranopyrimidine derivatives catalyzed by efficient nanoparticles and their nucleoside analogues. Synthetic Communications. 2019 Dec 17;49(24):3560-72.
15. Nagaraju P, Reddy PN, Padmaja P, Ugale VG. Microwave-Assisted Synthesis of Thiazole/Benzothiazole Fused Pyranopyrimidine Derivatives and Evaluation of their Biological Activity. Letters in Organic Chemistry. 2021 Jan 1;18(1):49-57.
16. Mohamed HM, Abd El-Wahab AH. Heteroaromatization with 4-Phenyldiazenyl-1-naphthol. Part IV: Synthesis of Some New Heterocyclic Compounds with Potential Biological Activity. Current Organic Synthesis. 2019 Sep 1;16(6):931-8.
17. Naik MD, Bodke YD, Naik JK. An efficient multicomponent synthesis of 1 H-pyrano [2, 3-d] pyrimidine-2, 4 (3 H, 5 H)-dione derivatives and evaluation of their α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity. Journal of Chemical Research. 2021 Mar;45(3-4):228-36.
18. Hussien AH, El‐Qaliei MI, Mousa SA, Atalla AA, Khodairy A. Synthesis, antimicrobial activity, and molecular docking studies of new fused pyrimidinethiones. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2022 Apr 19.
19. Baluja S, Gajera R, Chanda S. Antibacterial studies of dihydropyrimidinones and pyrimidinethiones. Journal of Bacteriology and Mycology: Open Access. 2017;5(6):1-6.
20. Costa M, Dias TA, Brito A, Proença F. Biological importance of structurally diversified chromenes. European journal of medicinal chemistry. 2016 Nov 10;123:487-507.
21. Raj V, Lee J. 2H/4H-Chromenes—A versatile biologically attractive scaffold. Frontiers in Chemistry. 2020 Aug 5;8:623.
22. Najar AH, Hossaini Z, Abdolmohammadi S, Zareyee D. Green synthesis and investigation of biological activity of chromene derivatives. Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds. 2022 Sep 14;42(8):5104-22.
23. Thomas N, Zachariah SM. Pharmacological activities of chromene derivatives: an overview. Asian J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2013;6(2):11-5.
24. Bogza YP, Katsiel AL, Sharypova AN, Tolstikova TG, Fisyuk AS. Synthesis and biological activity of 4H-thieno [3, 2-c] chromene derivatives. Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds. 2015 Mar;50(12):1712-8.
25. Gillespie SH, Medical microbiology-Illustrated, Butterworth Heinemann Ltd, United Kingdom, 1994: 234-7.
26. Hawkey PM, Lewis DA, Medical bacteriology-a practical approach, Oxford university press, United Kingdom, 1994; 181-94.