Volume : 09, Issue : 10, October – 2022
71.OVERVIEW OF EFFICIENCY OF ULTRASOUND AND DIGITAL RADIOGRAPHY IN DISTINGUISHING PERIAPICAL LESIONS
Talal Mohammed Al-zahrani, Hanaa Ibrahim Abdulhakim, Abdulkareem Muaybid Almutairi, Ahmed Abdullah Alabood, Ibrahim mohammed Alyahiwi, Saeed Nasser Albathan, Abdulaziz Ali Al motairi, Mutaeb Samran Alenezi, Ahmed nisha Alotaibi, Sarah Qaed Alharbi
To visualize periapical lesions, periapical and panoramic radiographs are routinely employed. Furthermore, in the diagnosis of anterior teeth with periapical diseases, ultrasonography is an alternative way to digital radiography techniques. To December 2021, an electronic literature search was conducted using the databases PubMed, Embase, and CENTRAL. When compared to traditional radiography, ultrasonography can be considered a better imaging modality with greater efficacy due to its potential usefulness in differentiating periapical lesions.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article Talal Mohammed Al-zahrani et al, Overview Of Efficiency Of Ultrasound And Digital Radiography In Distinguishing Periapical Lesions., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2022; 09(10).
1. Yoshida H, Akizuki H, Michi K. Intraoral Ultrasonic scanning as a diagnostic aid. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1987;15:306–11.
2. Zhao Y, Ariji Y, Gotoh M, Kurita K, Natsume N, Ma X, et al. Color Doppler Sonography of the facial artery in the anterior face. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2002;93:195–201.
3. Gundappa M, Ng SY, Whaites EJ. Comparison of ultrasound, digital and conventional radiography in differentiating periapical lesions. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2006;35:326–33.
4. Mouyen F, Benz C, Sonnabend E, Lodter J. Presentation and physical evaluation of RadioVisioGraphy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1989; 68: 238 – 242.
5. Horner K, Shearer AC, Walker A, Wilson NHF. RadioVisioGraphy – an initial evaluation. Br Dent J 1990; 168: 244– 248.
6. Yokota ET, Miles DA, Newton CW, Brown CE. Interpretation of periapical lesions using RadioVisioGraphy. J Endod 1994; 20: 490 –494
7. Watanabe PC, Faria V, Camargo AJ. Multiple radiographic analysis (systemic disease): dental panoramic radiography. J Oral Health Dent Care 2017; 1: 007.
8. Raghav N, Reddy SS, Giridhar AG, Murthy S, Yashodha Devi BK, Santana N, et al. Comparison of the efficacy of conventional radiography, digital radiography, and ultrasound in diagnosing periapical lesions. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010; 110: 379–85.
9. Estrela C, Bueno MR, Leles CR, Azevedo B, Azevedo JR. Accuracy of cone beam computed tomography and panoramic and periapical radiography for detection of apical periodontitis. J Endod 2008; 34: 273–9.
10. Cotti E, Campisi G, Garau V, Puddu G. A new technique for the study of periapical bone lesions: ultrasound real time imaging. Int Endod J 2002; 35: 148–52.
11. Gundappa M, Ng SY, Whaites EJ. Comparison of ultrasound, digital and conventional radiography in differentiating periapical lesions. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2006; 35: 326–33.
12. Ferreira TLD, Costa ALF, Tucunduva MJA, Tucunduva-Neto RR, Shinohara EH, de Freitas CF. Ultrasound evaluation of intra-osseous cavity: a preliminary study in pig mandibles. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res 2016; 6(Suppl 1): S14–17.
13. Sandhu SS, Singh S, Arora S, Sandhu AK, Dhingra R. Comparative evaluation of advanced and conventional diagnostic AIDS for endodontic management of periapical lesions, an in vivo study. J Clin Diagn Res 2015; 9: ZC01–4.
14. Cotti E, Campisi G, Ambu R, Dettori C. Ultrasound real-time imaging in the differential diagnosis of periapical lesions. Int Endod J 2003; 36: 556–63.
15. Gad K, Ellabban M, Sciubba J. Utility of transfacial dental ultrasonography in evaluation of cystic jaw lesions. J Ultrasound Med 2018; 37: 635–44.
16. Bansal TK, Konidena A, Bansal R, Khursheed I, Reddy J, Khursheed O. Comparison of diagnostic accuracy of conventional radiography, digital radiography, and ultrasound imaging in the detection of periapical lesions. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2015; 27: 520–6.
17. Ingle IJ, Bakland LK, Baumgartner M. Endodontics. 5th ed. Ontario, Canada: Elsevier; 2002. p. 747-68. 10. Cotti E, Campisi E. Advanced radiographic techniques for the detection of lesions in bone. Endod Top 2004;7:52-72.
18. Shear M, Speight P. Cysts of the oral and maxillofacial regions. 4th ed. Munksgaard, Denmark: Blackwell Munksgaard; 2007. p. 123-42.
19. Wood NK, Goaz PW. Differential diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial lesions. 5th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2007. p. 252-63.
20. Kullendroff B, Petersson K, Rohlin M. Direct digital radiography for the detection of periapical bone lesions: a clinical study. Endod Dent Traumatol 1997;13:183-9.
21. Gundappa M, Ng SY, Whaites EJ. Comparison of ultrasound, digital and conventional radiography in differentiating periapical lesions. Dentomaxillofaci Radiol 2006;35:326-33.
22. Laird WR, Walmsley AD. Ultrasound in dentistry—part I: biophysical interactions. J Dent 1991;19:14-7.
23. Dula K, Mini R, van der Stelt PF, Lambrecht JT, Schneeberger P, Buser D. Hypothetical mortality risk associated with spiral computed tomography of the maxilla and mandible. Eur J Oral Sci 1996; 104: 503 – 510
24. Tirell B, Miles D, Newton C, Brown C. Interpretation of chemical-created lesions using direct digital imaging. J Dent Res 1995;74:91-5.
25. Barbat J, Messer H. Detectability of artificial periapical lesions using direct digital and conventional radiography. J Endod 1998;24:837-42.
26. Bart C, Miles DA, Brown CE, Legan JJ. Interpretation of chemically created lesions using direct digital imaging. J Endod 1996;22:74-8.
27. Nardi C, Calistri L, Pradella S, Desideri I, Lorini C, Colagrande S. Accuracy of orthopantomography for apical periodontitis without endodontic treatment. J Endod 2017; 43: 1640–6.
28. Musu D, Rossi-Fedele G, Campisi G, Cotti E. Ultrasonography in the diagnosis of bone lesions of the jaws: a systematic review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016; 122: e19–29.