Volume : 10, Issue : 01, January – 2023
30.FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF ANTI -ACNE GEL OF TABERNAEMONTANA DIVARICATE
Vijendra Bhabhore, Dr. Vivekanand Katare*, Ms. Sadhna Mangrole, Dr. Prabhat Kumar Jain
Acne, as a family of skin disorders is one of the most prevalent dermatologic diseases in the world. It usually affects almost everybody during the life. The use of natural remedies, particularly herbal medicine, dates back thousands of years. Over the last decade, in view of increasing resistance to existing anti-microbial agents, side effects and sometimes high cost of treatment, interest in medicinal herbs has been progressively increased. The plant Tabernaemontana divaricata, is an evergreen shrub or small tree native to South Asia, Southeast Asia and China. The root is used to treat hypertension, headaches, scabies, and toothaches. The roots, leaves, and flowers are all used to treat snake and scorpion poisoning. Non-medical uses include using the wood as incense and perfume or using the pulp around the seed to make red dyes. This study aims to evaluate the gel of Tabernaemontana divaricate for its antimicrobial effect against P.acne. the leaves of this plant is collected & subjected to successive extraction, extractive value & Phytochemical tests . The gel was then prepared and analyzed for various parameters including antimicrobial effect. The antimicrobial effect of extract was evaluated by well diffusion method. The results showed that yields were found to be 8.24g for aqueous extract. The phytochemicals like terpenoids, phenols, Carbohydrates, Flavonoids were found to be present. The Colour of formed gel was Brown with good homogenesity & consistency. The pH of gel was 6.8. The Spreadibility was 31(gm.cm /sec). The Extrudability was 548 and Viscosity (CPS) was observed as 36.6. The zone of inhibition for 100 mg/ml of extract was found to be 12±0.2mm against P. acne
Keywords: Tabernaemontana divaricate, P.acne, gel, Anti- microbial activity
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press Vivekanand Katare et al, Formulation And Evaluation Of Anti -Acne Gel Of Tabernaemontana Divaricate.., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10(01)../p>
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Toyoda M, Morohashi M. Pathogenesis of acne. Med Electron Microsc 2001;34:29–40.
2. Feldman S, Careccia RE, Barham KL, Hancox J. Diagnosis and treatment of acne. Am Fam Physician 2004;69:2123–30.
3. Oprika C. Characterisation of antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes from acne vulgaris and other diseases. Stockholm: Karolinska University; 2006.
4. Kumar GS, Jayaveera KN, Ashok CK, Sanjay PU, Swamy BMV, KishoreKumar DV. Antimicrobial effects of Indian medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria. Trop J Pharm Res 2007;6:717–23.
5. Baser KH, Demirci B, Iscan G, Hashimoto T, Demirci F, Noma Y, et al. The essential oil constituents and antimicrobial activity of Anthemis aciphylla BOISS. var. discoidea BOISS. Chem Pharm Bull(Tokyo) 2006;54:222–5
6. Chomnawang MT, Surassmo S, Nukoolkarn VS, Gritsanapan W. Antimicrobial effects of Thai medicinal plants against acne-inducing bacteria. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;101:330–3.
7. Sawarkar HA, Khadabadi SS, Mankar DM, Farooqui IA, Jagtap NS. Development and biological evaluation of herbal anti-acne gel. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:2028–31.