Volume : 10, Issue : 03, March – 2023
02.EFFECT OF STRESS BEFORE AND AFTER THE EXAMINATION ON PULSE RATE AND BLOOD PRESSURE OF FIRST-YEAR MALE UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL STUDENTS
Pavana Krishnamoorthy, Sahana Patil, Shwetha Rao
Introduction: Medical students face a variety of stress at medical school, which includes high academic demands, workloads, tough curricular aspects, learning settings, personal life events all are contributing stress among students . When compared to other students academic stress in medical students were found significantly high along with high level of anxiety and depression.
Methods: The present study involved a total of 40 male students were chosen for the study. Aged 18-21years of first year MBBS students of Srinivas institute of medical science and research center. Parameters such as height, weight, temperature, pulse rate , systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure were taken before and after examination on the same day .
Result: Out of 40 male subjects, The mean and standard deviation of BMI in study group of males is 24.4 ±4.54 ,the mean and standard deviation of pulse rate before and after examination was 81.7±13.54 and 75.4±8.50 there was highly significant increase in P value (P<0.0001) respectively .The temperature before and after examination 32.9±1.38 and 32.1±1.42.there was significant increase in P value (P<0.002) respectively . The mean and standard deviation of systolic blood pressure before and after examination was128±3.76 and 110±6.55 there was highly significant increase in P value (P<0.0001) respectively and Diastolic blood pressure before and after practical examination was 86.55±3.14 and 79.55±2.66 there was highly significant increase in P value (P<0.0001) respectively .Conclusion: In order to avoid the long-term negative consequences of elevated stress levels on future doctors’ physical and mental health, medical students should receive the proper counseling and stress-relieving activities. and medical curriculum should include mentoring and training assistance programs.
Keywords: Examination Stress, Medical Students, Cardiovascular Vital Parameters, Basal Metabolism, Body temperature
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press Pavana Krishnamoorthy et al, Effect Of Stress Before And After The Examination On Pulse Rate And Blood Pressure Of First-Year Male Undergraduate Medical Students., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10(03).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Sharma B, Wavare R, Deshpande A, Nigam R, Chandorkar R. A study of academic stress and its effect on vital parameters in final year medical students at SAIMS Medical College, Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Biomed Res. 2011; 22(3):361-365.
2. Singh R, Goyal M, Tiwari S, Ghildiyal A, Nattu SM, Das S. Effect of examination stress on mood, performance and cortisol levels in medical students. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012; 56(1):48- 55.
3.Tsigos C, Chrousos GP. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, neuroendocrine factors and stress. J Psychosom Res. 2002; 53:865-871.
4. Bali A, Jaggi AS. Clinical experimental stress studies: Methods and assessment. Rev Neurosci. 2015; 26(5):555-579.
5. Shah SJ, Patel HM. Effect of Examination Stress on Parameters of Autonomic Functions in Medical Students. IJSR. 2014; 3(7):273-276
6. Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS, Marks JS: Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors, 2001. JAMA2003, 289:76-79
7. Briese E. Emotional hyperthermia and performance in humans. Physiol Behav 1995; 58:615-8; PMID:8587973; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0031- 9384(95)00091-V
8. (1993).( Ganong WF .Autonomic nervous system.review of medical physiology.1993;16th edition.206-207
9. Casper RF,YEN SSC and Wilkes MM. Menopausal flushes:Aneuroendocrine link with pulsatile leuteinizing hormone secretion. science 1979; 205:823825.
10.Acharya A, Sharma M. Acute effect of examination stress on cardiovascular parameters. Int J Med Health Res 2017;3:1-3.
11. Saipanish R. Stress among medical students in a Thai medical school. Med Teach 2003;25:502-6.
12. Freychuss U, Hjemdahl P, Juhlin Dannfelt A, Linde B.Cardiovascular & Sympathoadrenal responses to
mental stress- Influence of β- Blockade. Am J Physiol 1998;255: 1443-51)
13. Singh R, Goyal M, Tiwari S, Ghildiyal A, Nattu SM, Das S. Effect of examination stress on mood,performance and cortisol levels in medical students. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2012 Jan 1;56(1):48-55.
14. Bhaskara Raju, K. Assessment of physiological parameters in medical graduates under examination stress. Sch J App Med Sci. 2017;5 (6A): 2074-2077.
15. Al-Sandook TA, AL- Nuaimy Karama MT, Al- Saffar MT. Effect of stress on arterial blood pressure in dental students. AlRafidain Dent J 2007;7:118-21