Volume : 10, Issue : 03, March – 2023
15.DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A RP – HPLC METHOD FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF TRANEXAMIC ACID AND MEFENAMIC ACID IN PURE AND PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM
K. Sandhya, K. Sunetha
A simple, Accurate, precise method was developed for the simultaneous estimation of the Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid in bulk and tablet dosage form. The chromatography was performed on a Waters 2695 HPLC system, equipped with an auto sampler, UV detector and Empower 2 software. Analysis was carried out at 282 nm with column Inertsil C18 (4.6mm ×250mm, 5µm particle size), dimensions at 350C temperature. The optimized mobile phase consists of Phosphate Buffer (pH-4.8): Methanol (55:45% v/v). Flow rate was maintained at 1 ml/min. Run time was selected to be 6 min because analyze gave peak around 1.688, 3.282 ±0.02min respectively and also to reduce the total run time. The percent recovery was found to be 98.0-102% was linear and precise over the same range. Both system and method precision was found to be accurate and well within range. The analytical method was found linearity over the range 100-500mg/ml of Tranexamic acid and 30-70mg/ml of Mefenamic acid of the target concentration. The analytical passed both robustness and ruggedness tests. On both cases, relative standard deviation was well satisfactory.
Keywords: Tranexamic acid, Mefenamic acid, RP‐HPLC, Simultaneous estimation.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press K. Sandhya et al, Development And Validation Of A RP – HPLC Method For The Simultaneous Determination Of Tranexamic Acid And Mefenamic Acid In Pure And Pharmaceutical Dosage Form., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10 (03).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Furtmuller R, Schlag MG, Berger M, Hopf R, Huck S, Sieghart W, Redl H: Tranexamic acid, a widely used antifibrinolytic agent, causes convulsions by a gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) receptor antagonistic effect. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002 Apr;301(1):168-73. doi: 10.1124/jpet.301.1.168. [Article]
2. Ng W, Jerath A, Wasowicz M: Tranexamic acid: a clinical review. Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther. 2015;47(4):339-50. doi: 10.5603/AIT.a2015.0011. Epub 2015 Mar 23. [Article]
3. Gompels MM, Lock RJ, Abinun M, Bethune CA, Davies G, Grattan C, Fay AC, Longhurst HJ, Morrison L, Price A, Price M, Watters D: C1 inhibitor deficiency: consensus document. Clin Exp Immunol. 2005 Mar;139(3):379-94. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2249.2005.02726.x. [Article]
4. Gierse JK, Hauser SD, Creely DP, Koboldt C, Rangwala SH, Isakson PC, Seibert K: Expression and selective inhibition of the constitutive and inducible forms of human cyclo-oxygenase. Biochem J. 1995 Jan 15;305 ( Pt 2):479-84. [Article]
5. Bhat AS, Tandan SK, Kumar D, Krishna V, Prakash VR: Interaction between inhibitors of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase in adjuvant-induced arthritis in female albino rats: an isobolographic study. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Feb 5;556(1-3):190-9. Epub 2006 Oct 27. [Article]
6. Bhat AS, Tandan SK, Kumar D, Krishna V, Prakash VR: Interaction between inhibitors of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase in Brewer’s yeast induced pyrexia in mice: an isobolographic study. Eur J Pharmacol. 2005 Mar 28;511(2-3):137-42. [Article]
7. Arayne MS, Sultana N, Qureshi F, Ahmed Siddiqui F, Zeeshan Mirza A, et al. (2009) Simultaneous determination of tranexamic acid and losartan potassium in dosage formulations and human serum by RP-LC. Chromatographia 70: 789-795.
8. Huertas-Pérez JF, Heger M, Dekker H, Krabbe H, Lankelma J et al. (2007) Simple, rapid, and sensitive liquid chromatography-fluorescence method for the quantification of tranexamic acid in blood. J chromatogr A 1157: 142-150.
9. Ansari TM, Raza A, Rehman A (2005) Spectrophotometric determination of tranexamic acid in pharmaceutical bulk and dosage forms. Anal Sci 21: 1133- 1135.
10. Shiha Y, Wub KL, Sueb JW, Senthil Kumar A, Zen JM (2008) Determination of tranexamic acid in cosmetic products by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with barrel plating nickel electrode. J Pharm Biomed Anal 48: 1446-1450.
11. Alarfaj NA, Altamimi SA , Almarshady LZ (2009) Spectrophotometric determination of mefenamic acid in pharmaceutical preparations. Asian J Chem 21: 217-226.
12. Dahivelkar PP, Mahajan VK, Bari SB, Shirkhedkar AA, Fursule RA, et al. (2007) Simultaneous derivative and multicomponent spectrophotometric determination of drotaverine hydrochloride and mefenamic acid in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 69: 812-814.
13. Derle DV, Bela M, Kasliwal N (2008) In vitro and in vivo evaluation of mefenamic acid and its complexes with β- cyclodextrin and HP- β- cyclodextrin. Asian J Pharm 2: 30-34.
14. Santini AO, Pezza HR, Pezza L (2007) Development of a potentiometric mefenamate ion sensor for the determination of mefenamic acid in pharmaceuticals and human blood serum. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 128: 117-123.
15. Chang Q, Yin OQ, Chow MS (2004) Liquid chromatography- tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of tranexamic acid in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 805: 275- 280.
16. Delyle SG, Abi E, Batisse A, Tremey B, Fischer M, et al. (2010) A validated assay for the quantitative analysis of tranexamic acid in human serum by liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry. Clinicia Chimica Acta 411: 438-443.
17. Aroud KAE, Abushoffa AM, Abdellatef HE (2007) Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for the determination of tranexamic acid in pharmaceutical formulations. Chem Pharm Bull 55: 364-367.
18. Dusci LJ, Hackett LP (1978) Gas liquid chromatographic determination of mefenamic acid in human serum. J Chromatogr 161: 340-342.
19. Rouini MR, Asadipour A, Ardakani YH, Aghdasi F (2004) Liquid chromatography method for the determination of mefenamic acid in human serum. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 800 : 172-189.
20. Liu L, Song J (2006) Voltametric determination of mefenamic acid at lanthanum hydroxide nanowires modified carbon paste electrodes. Anal Biochem 354: 22- 27.
21. Shaikha KA, Patil SD, Devkhileb AB (2008) Development and validation of a reversed-phase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of ambroxol hydrochloride and azithromycin in tablet dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Anal 48: 1481-1484.
22. Ratinavel G, Umanath U, Valarmathy J, Samualjoshua L, Selvin Thanuja C, et al. (2009) RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of rosiglitazone and gliclazide in tablets. Eurasian J Anal Chem 6: 1188-1192.
23. Kumudhavalli MV, Jayakar B, Margret R, Kumar M, Saravanan C (2010) Method development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of ibuprofen and methocarbamol. Int J Chem Anal Science 1: 28-30.
24. Topagi KS, Jeswani RM, Sinha PK, Damle MC (2010) A validated normal phase HPLC method for simultaneous determination of drotavarine hydrochloride and omeprazole in pharmaceutical formulation. AJPCR 3: 20-24.
25. Saeed Arayne M, Sultana N, Qureshi F, Siddiqui FA, Bahaldur SS, et al. (2009) Simultaneous Determination of Tranexamic Acid and Losartan Potassium in Dosage Formulations and Human Serum by RP-LC. Chromatographia 70: 789- 795.
26. Siddiqui MR, Tariq A, Chaudary M, Dinesh Reddy K, Negi PS, et al. (2009) Simultaneous estimation of pantaprazole and domperidone by spectrophotometry. Am J Appli Sci 10: 1781-1787.
27. Liu H, Wang H, Sunderland VB (2005) An isocratic ion exchange HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of flucloxacillin and amoxicillin in a pharmaceutical formulation for injection. J Pharm Biomed Anal 37: 395-398.
28. Dhoka MV, Gawande VT, Joshi PP (2010) Simultaneous estimation of cefixime and Trihydrate erdostenine in pharmaceutical dosage form by using reverse phase-high performance liquid chromatography. Int J Chem Tech Res 2: 79-87.
29. Choudhary B, Goyal A, Khokra SL, Kaushik D (2009) Simultaneous estimation of diclofenac sodium and rabeprazole by high performance liquid chromatography method in combined dosage forms. IJPSDR 1: 43-45.
30. Joshi SJ, Karbharia PA, Bhoira SI, Bindub KS, Dasc C (2010) RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet formulation. J Pharm Biomed Anal 52: 362-371.
31. Hadad GM, Gindy AE, Mahmoud WMM (2007) Optimization and validation of an HPLC-UV method for determination of tranexamic acid in a dosage form and in human urine. Chromatographia 66: 311-317.