Volume : 10, Issue : 05, May – 2023
07.EXPLORING DENTAL STUDENTS’ PERCEPTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF RUBBER DAM IMPLEMENTATION IN OPERATIVE DENTISTRY
Dr Amna Moghal, Dr. Iqra Dildar
Objective: During dental school, there is a lot of focus on teaching students how to employ rubber dams in the two main fields of operational dentistry and endodontics. The goal of the current research was to assess dental students’ perceptions of the usage of rubber dams in operative dentistry medical centers, with a particular focus on their perceptions of the potential applications of these materials after graduation.
Methods: Interns in a dental program at Punjab Dental Hospital in Lahore, Pakistan, were subjected to a systematic questionnaire-based study. The questions focused on latex allergy, training, choosing the right jaws to apply the rubber dam, and possible uses of the rubber dam in practice.
Results: A statistical analysis was performed on a questionnaire that was fully completed by all 110 participants. Approximately 80.9 percent of the students felt that they had appropriate and acceptable instructions for installing rubber dams, and 59.1 percent believed that they should first check to see whether they are allergic to latex before installing rubber dams. And 85 percent of the students said they would employ rubber dams for all operations when they graduated.
Conclusions: This group of prospective dentists responded well to the use of rubber dams during restorative operations, which is encouraging.
Keywords: operative dentistry, rubber dam, perception
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press Amna Moghal et al, Exploring Dental Students’ Perception And Acceptance Of Rubber Dam Implementation In Operative Dentistry., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10 (05).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Ghorbani, M. K., Hamidifar, H., Skoulikaris, C., & Nones, M. (2022). Concept-Based Integration of Project Management and Strategic Management of Rubber Dam Projects Using the SWOT–AHP Method. Sustainability, 14(5), 2541.
2. Bao, L., Chen, J., Tong, H., Qian, J., & Li, X. (2022). Phytoplankton dynamics and implications for eutrophication management in an urban river with a series of rubber dams. Journal of Environmental Management, 311, 114865.
3. Guo, W., Zeng, W., Gao, X., & Ren, Y. (2023). Analysis of air‐inflated rubber dam for flood‐fighting at the subway entrance. Journal of Flood Risk Management, 16(1), e12872.
4. Falacho, R. I., Melo, E. A., Marques, J. A., Ramos, J. C., Guerra, F., & Blatz, M. B. (2023). Clinical in‐situ evaluation of the effect of rubber dam isolation on bond strength to enamel. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry, 35(1), 48-55.
5. Alkhatib, O. A., Bissasu, S., & Daud, A. (2023). Dental floss ties for rubber dam isolation: A proposed classification and a new technique. Journal of Prosthodontics, 32(1), 83-89.
6. Vodoriz, Y. Y., Tkachenko, I. M., Nazarenko, Z. Y., Pisarenko, O. A., & Gurzhiy, O. V. (2022). The prevalence of rubber dam among dentists in different countries.
7. Current, J. L., Unkel, J. H., Berry, E. J., Reinhartz, J., & Reinhartz, D. (2022). Comparing Behavior Outcomes with Rubber Dam or IsoVac Isolation in Patients Undergoing Moderate Sedation. Journal of Dentistry for Children, 89(2), 83-87.
8. Olegário, I. C., Moro, B. L., Tedesco, T. K., Freitas, R. D., Pássaro, A. L., Garbim, J. R., … & Raggio, D. P. (2022). Use of rubber dam versus cotton roll isolation on composite resin restorations’ survival in primary molars: 2-year results from a non-inferiority clinical trial. BMC Oral Health, 22(1), 1-13.
9. Mattar, R. E., Sulimany, A. M., Binsaleh, S. S., Hamdan, H. M., & Al‐Majed, I. M. (2023). Evaluation of fissure sealant retention rates using Isolite in comparison with rubber dam and cotton roll isolation techniques: A randomized clinical trial. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry.
10. Pottammal, N., Rao, A., Natarajan, S., Karuna, Y. M., Nayak, A. P., & Rao, S. (2023). Evaluation of pain response in children to the SoftClamp™ as an alternative to the metal rubber dam clamp: A randomized clinical trial. Dental Research Journal, 20.
11. Pour Ahmad, A., Hussein, S. A., Sejoudi, M., & Ghorbani, R. (2022). Investigation of the impact of rubber dams on the development of water resources of urban areas in Gilan Province, Iran. Central Asian Journal of Environmental Science and Technology Innovation, 3(4), 120-127.
12. Kruse, C., Schlafer, S., & Pedersen, K. (2022). A comparison of video‐based and slide‐based teaching before hands‐on rubber dam application: A quantitative and qualitative study. Journal of Dental Education, 86(3), 334-342.
13. Afshari, E., Sabbagh, S., Khorakian, F., Shirazi, A. S., & Baghban, A. A. (2023). Reducing Pain and Discomfort Associated with Rubber Dam Clamp Placement in Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Effectiveness.
14. Ghorbani, M. K., & Hamidifar, H. (2023). Strategic planning of rubber dams by the SWOT and SWOT-AHP methods in Iran. International Journal of Hydrology Science and Technology, 15(2), 112-122.
15. AlKhafaji, H., Muttashar, W. R., & Al-Mosawi, W. M. (2023). Proposing an inflatable rubber dam on the Tidal Shatt Al-Arab River, Southern Iraq. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, 32(1), 20220201.
16. Doshi, R., Shah, N., Mohan Kumar, R., Shah, R., & Kotecha, N. (2023). Clinical evaluation of winged versus wingless rubber dam clamps in single tooth isolation-A randomized clinical study. Journal of Conservative Dentistry, 26(2).
17. Pradeep, O., Patil, R. S., Sojin, S. S., Reddy, C. P., Adarsh, R. S., & Pandey, P. R. (2022). Knowledge And Attitude About Rubber Dam Usage In Undergraduate Students: An Original Research. Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 4501-4507.
18. Subaraman, M. (2022). KNOWLEDGE ATTITUDE AND AWARENESS ON IMPORTANCE OF RUBBER DAM AMONG DENTAL STUDENTS. International Journal of Early Childhood Special Education, 14(5).
19. Yu, H. (2022). Isolation of the Operative Field in Micro Prosthodontics: Practical Rubber Dam Technology. In Digital Guided Micro Prosthodontics (pp. 75-81). Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore.
20. Milanović, M., Dimitrijević, M., Juloski, J., & Juloski, J. (2022). Isolation with rubber dam: knowledge, training, and attitudes of final year dental students. Vojnosanitetski pregled, 79(10).
21. Shahzan, S., Paulraj, J., & Maiti, S. (2022). ASSESSMENT OF ANXIETY LEVELS IN CHILDREN RECEIVING DENTAL TREATMENT USING RUBBER DAM-A RANDOMIZED CONTROL TRIAL. Annals of Dental Specialty Vol, 10(4), 15.
22. Alzahrani, M. H. H. (2022). Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Dental Students Regarding Use of Rubber Dam during Clinical Procedures. Saudi J Oral Dent Res, 7(12), 333-340.
23. Joshi, B., Gautam, S., Joshi, R., & Khapung, A. (2023). Attitude and practice of dental interns towards the use of rubber dam in different dental colleges of Kathmandu. Nepal Medical College Journal, 25(1), 7-12.
24. Alqahtani, S. M., Chaturvedi, S., Alshahrani, A. A., Alqahtani, A. M., Almzher, A. A., Alqhtani, R. A., … & Al Moaleem, M. M. (2023). Online Questionnaire-Based Study to Evaluate the Attitudes and Use of Rubber Dental Dams by Saudi Dental Practitioners. Medical Science Monitor: International Medical Journal of Experimental and Clinical Research, 29, e938672-1.
25. Handa, A., Bhullar, K. K., Kaur, S., Batra, D., Grover, J. S., Malhotra, S., & Kaur, R. (2022). The Acceptance of Rubber Dam Isolation by Patients undergoing Endodontic Treatment and Its Feedback: A Questionnaire Based Survey. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International, 34(38B), 11-17.