Volume : 10, Issue : 05, May – 2023
13.BOSENTAN -LOADED NANOEMULSION: A NOVEL TRANSDERMAL FORMULATION AND THEIR EVALUATION
Mukteshwari S. Giri, Dr.S.C. Atram
The research’s main objective was to improve bosentan solubility by preparing nanoemulsion (NE) for pulmonary artery hypertension therapy. Oleic acid was selected as oil, Tween 20 as a surfactant, and PEG600 as a co-surfactant. From the pseudo ternary phase diagram ratio of Smix (1:1) selected. From the ternary diagram’s NE area, different batches were prepared. The optimized formulation NE F3 contains oil (5% w/w), Smix (50%w/w), and water (44.9% w/w). The prepared was evaluated for globule size 141 nm, 99% drug content. The physicochemical parameter of NE F3 was performed, and to enhance the stability of NE, it is converted into gel, by using Carbopol 934 and Xanthan gum. The in vitro drug release investigation after 8 hours % cumulative drug release (CDR) of NE gel was 88.3 ± 0.18%, and aqueous drug emulsion (F3) shows 40.8 ± 0.13%., which indicates that NE gel revealed better drug release than NE. There was increase in solubility compare to other formulations of drug.
Keywords: Nanoemulsion, transdermal gel, pseudo ternary phase diagram, in vitro drug release
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press Mukteshwari S. Giri et al, Bosentan -Loaded Nanoemulsion: A Novel Transdermal Formulation And Their Evaluation., Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10 (05).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Galie N, Torbicki A, Barst R, Dartevelle P, Haworth S, Higenbottam T,et al. Guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension: The Task Force on Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology. European heart journal. 2004 Dec 1;25(24):2243-2278.
2. Galie N, Beghetti M, Gatzoulis MA, Granton J, Berger RM, Lauer A, et al. Bosentan therapy in patients with Eisenmenger’s syndrome: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebocontrolled study. Circulation, 2006;114(1): 48–54.
3. Apostolopoulou SC, Manginas A, Cokkinos DV, Rammos S. Effect of the oral endothelin antagonist bosentan on the clinical, exercise, and haemodynamic status of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension related to congenital heart disease. Heart, 2004;91(11): 1447–1452.
4. Dingemanse J, Van Giersbergen PL. Clinical pharmacology of bosentan, a dual endothelin receptor antagonist. Clinical pharmacokinetics, 2004;43(15): 1089-1115.
5. Price LC, Howard LS. Endothelin receptor antagonists for pulmonary arterial hypertension: rationale and place in therapy. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs, 2008;8(3): 171-185.
6. Hoar TP, Schulman JH. Transparent water-in-oil dispersions: the oleopathic hydro-micelle. Nature, 1943;152(3847): 102-103.
7. Shinoda K, Lindman B. Organized surfactant systems:microemulsions, Langmuir. 1947;3(2): 35-149. 8.
8. 8.Varshney HM, Chatterjee A. Solubility enhancement of poorly hydrophilic drugs by using different newer techniques: A Review.Int J Therap App, 2012;6(8):13.
9. Syed HK, Peh KK. Identification of phases of various oil, surfactant/co-surfactants and water system by ternary phase diagram. Acta Pol Pharm, 2014;71(2): 301-309.
10. Indiran S, Sangeeta V, Rajendra K, John H, Ramya K. Microroemulsion as Solid dosage forms for oral administration, 2009;European patent. EP 2 127 642 A3.
11. Tomsic M, Podlogar F, Gasperlin M, Bester-Rogac M, Jamnik A. Water–Tween 40®/Imwitor 308®–isopropyl myristate microemulsions as delivery systems for ketoprofen: Small-angle X-ray scattering study. Int J Pharma, 2006;327(1-2): 170-177.
12. 12.Prajapati B, Varia U. Bosentan-loaded Microemulsion: A Novel Formulation and Evaluation of their In vitro and In vivo Characteristic. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research. 2020;12(5):464-72.
13. 13.Roy A, Nishchaya K, Rai VK. Nanoemulsion-based dosage forms for the transdermal drug delivery applications: A review of recent advances. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery. 2022 Mar 4;19(3):303-19.
14. 14.Gul U, Khan MI, Madni A, Sohail MF, Rehman M, Rasul A, Peltonen L. Olive oil and clove oil-based nanoemulsion for topical delivery of terbinafine hydrochloride: in vitro and ex vivo evaluation. Drug Delivery. 2022 Dec 31;29(1):600-12.
15. 15.Oyelaja-Akinsipo OB, Dare EO, Oladoyinbo FO, Katare DP, Sanni LO, Alayande SO. nanoemulsion: a promising and novel nanotherapeutic vehicle for transdermal drug delivery application. journal of chemical society of nigeria. 2021 sep 6;46(4).
16. 16.Taher SS, Sadeq ZA, Al-Kinani KK, Alwan ZS. solid lipid nanoparticles as a promising approach for delivery of anticancer agents.