Volume : 10, Issue : 11, November – 2023
A REVIEW ON ANALYTICAL PROFILE OF SEMAGLUTIDE IN PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORMS AND BIOLOGICAL MATRICES
M. M. Eswarudu*, P. Siva Krishna, Shaik Shannu, B. Lakshmi Prasanna, P. Tarun Kumar, Shaik Afrin, Ch. Sujith Kumar, P. Srinivasa Babu
The chase to improve the quality of life has stimulated desirable changes in research to design and develop a new drug and enhance its safety and effectiveness. Thus, there is a gradual rise in demand to develop susceptible and specific analytical techniques for newly developed drugs. Thus, analysts are striving very hard to develop new and efficient analytical methods to achieve these targets. Semaglutide was approved by United states Food and Drug administration (USFDA). It comes under antidiabetic agents; it acts by improves the efficiency of incretin function by activating GLP-1 receptors. This review article represents the collection and discussion of various analytical methods available in the literature for the estimation of the Semaglutide in pharmaceutical formulations and biological samples consisting of UV, HPLC, UPLC and hyphenated techniques such as LC-MS, LC-MS/MS. Moreover, we discuss about Semaglutide chemical structure, mechanism of action, and pharmacodynamics/pharmacokinetics properties. The present review can be effectively explored to conduct future analytical investigation for the estimation of Semaglutide.
Keywords: Semaglutide, Analytical Methods, RP-HPLC, UPLC, LC-MS/MS.
Cite This Article:
Please cite this article in press M. M. Eswarudu et al, A Review On Analytical Profile Of Semaglutide In Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms And Biological Matrices, Indo Am. J. P. Sci, 2023; 10 (11).
Number of Downloads : 10
1. Tae Suk Lee, Eun Ji Park, Minkyu Choi, Hyun Seok Oh, Yejin An, Taehyung Kim, Tae Hwan Kim, Beom Soo Shin, Soo young Shin, Novel LC-MS/MS analysis of the GLP-1 analogue Semaglutide with its application to pharmacokinetics and brain distribution studies in rats, Journal of chromatography B, 2023;1221:1-6.
2. https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Semaglutide#section=Computed-Properties last accessed on 9th November,2023.
3. Buckley, Stephen T., et al. Transcellular stomach absorption of a derivatized glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist. Science translational medicine.2018;1(467): 10.1126/scitranslmed. aar7047.
4. Knudsen LB, Lau J. The discovery and development of liraglutide and Semaglutide. Frontiers in endocrinology. 2019 Apr 12;10: 155.
5. Jensen, Lene, et al. Absorption, metabolism and excretion of the GLP-1 analogue Semaglutide in humans and nonclinical species. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 104 (2017): 31-41.
6. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Semaglutide&oldid=1165483040 accessed on November 9, 2023.
7. Blundell J, Finlayson G, Axelsen M, Flint A, Gibbons C, Kvist T, Hjerpsted JB. Effects of once-weekly Semaglutide on appetite, energy intake, control of eating, food preference and body weight in subjects with obesity. Diabetes Obese Metab. 2017 Sep;19(9):1242-1251. doi: 10.1111/dom.12932.
8. Sanjay Karla, Rakesh Sahay, A Review on Semaglutide: An Oral Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor Agonist in Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetes Ther (2020)11:1965-1982.
9. Paul May, Semaglutide: The Diabetic drug that might also be a cure for obesity, Molecule of the Month, 2021.
10. https://www.ozempic.com/why-ozempic/what-is-ozempic.html accessed on November 9,2023
11. https://www.rybelsus.com/ accessed on November 9, 2023
12. https://www.wegovy.com/ accessed on November 9, 2023
13. https://www.1mg.com/search/all?name=semaglutide accessed on November 9,2023
14. Merugu Manasa, Vijey Aanandhi M, Stability Indicating UV Spectroscopy Method Development Validation and Dissolution Testing of Semaglutide, Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results. 2022; 13(4): 1459-146.
15. Manasa M, Vijey Aanandhi M. Stability Indicating Spectroscopic and Chromatographic Estimation of Semaglutide. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry. 2021;12(10): 756-4765.
16. Joshna Sree, Meena, Sivagami, Chandrasekar, Niranjan Babu, A Quantitative RP-HPLC Approach for the Method Development and Validation for the Simultaneous Quantification of Semaglutide and Liraglutide in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms Journal of Xi’an Shiyou University, Natural Science Edition, 2022;18(11): 684-693.
17. Manasa Merugu, Aanandhi Vijey M, Stability indicating method development and validation of Semaglutide by RP-HPLC in pharmaceutical substance and pharmaceutical product Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2021;14(3):1385-1389, DO:10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00247.
18. Varsha P, Rasapelly Ramesh Kumar, A. Mallik, N. Jyothi, Method development and validation Of Semaglutide Using RP-HPLC, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Applications, 2021;6(5): 434-446.
19. Subha Harika Penmetsa & Raja Sundararajan, Method development and validation of RP-UPLC method for the determination of Semaglutide in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form, IJRAR- International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews Research. 2018;5(4): 534-543.
20. Merugu Manasa, Vijey Anandhi M, Stability Indicating RP-UPLC Method Validation and Dissociation Testing of Semaglutide, Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results, 2022; 13(5): 1459-1464.
21. Tae Suk Lee, Eun Ji Park, Minkyu Choi, Hyun Seok Oh, Yejin An, Taehyung Kim, Tae Hwan Kim, Beom Soo Shin, Soo young Shin, Novel LC-MS/MS analysis of the GLP-1 analogue Semaglutide with its application to pharmacokinetics and brain distribution studies in rats, Journal of chromatography B, 2023;1221:1-6.